Scenic Rim Heritage Network
Templin Historical Village
Templin Historical Village may be a country museum but don’t be fooled into thinking you’ll be done in minutes.
For a rural museum Templin houses a whole lot of history.
There are 14 historic buildings in the precinct and each one displays local artifacts. There are fashions of the 1900s, irons, meat safes, cameras, medical memorabilia, war memorabilia and farming history.
Templin is after all set amidst a thriving rural community which over the years has produced milk, vegetables, grain and meat for local, national and international markets.
Once a Queensland State School, the Village has been open to the public since 1977 and over that time has been buoyed by generous donations from local families. After closing due to declining enrollments in the 1970s, ownership of the site passed to the Boonah Shire Council. The local Historical Society has been caretakers since then.
While the original school and playshed were the first buildings, slowly over the years, more and more buildings were moved to the site and used to display a wide range of artifacts. There’s an 1879 slab hut, built by Carl Stumer at Milford for his wife and seven children. There’s the Cannon Creek Church of England, built in 1911 for a cost of 75 pounds. The Goolman Shire Council building has been moved to Templin, as has the Fraserview School, which is now set up with war memorabilia and as an early ward of the Boonah Hospital.
An old farm dairy features wooden butter boxes and an early separator.