The memorial was erected by the Beaudesert and District Soldiers Memorial Fund, at a substantial cost of 1,340 pounds. Early in 1919 the fund advertised widely for designs and that of the Standard Masonry Works, Melbourne, was chosen. A H Conrad, of the Brisbane firm of Atkinson and Conrad was appointed as supervising architect and made slight alterations to the design. After the Melbourne masonry firm was unable to carry out their contract, the tender of W E Parsons of Brisbane was accepted in June 1920 and he has signed the soldier statue. The foundation stone was laid on 10 December 1919 by the then Mayoress of Beaudesert, Mrs H L Macdonald. It was unveiled on 28 September 1921 by the then Governor of Queensland, Sir Matthew Nathan. Name plates were later added for World War II and commemorative plaques for the Korean War, Malayan and Indonesian conflicts and the Vietnam War.
The memorial is situated on a triangular piece of land at the centre of town. This site was originally part of William Duckett White and George Robinsons Beaudesert Run and was at the intersection formed where the roads from Nindooinbah (600027), Telemon and Kerry Stations met the Brisbane Road. Beaudesert was one of the few private Queensland towns. It was never gazetted, and buildings were erected before surveying and subdivision occurred. This corner site has always been triangular in form.
First World War, 1914-1918
Second World War, 1939-1945
Malayan Emergency, 1948-1960
Korean War, 1950-1953
Indonesian Confrontation 1962-66
Vietnam War, 1962-1972