Harrisville Museum



Open the first and third Sunday of the month


1pm to 4pm for groups by appointment


Elanda, Queen Street, Harrisville QLD 4307


P : 07 5464 6518


The Harrisville Museum was established in the 1960s in Elanda, a circa 1800s house once owned by the Mackaway Family.

 It’s located between the fire brigade and the Catholic Church and is home to a rich selection of Harrisville’s historical memorabilia.

 The site also houses the old Carney’s Creek school, complete with desks and chairs. The museum features an extensive war section, a display of aboriginal artefacts from the region, some historic farm machinery, as well as women’s clothing and furniture from times gone by.

 The old Harrisville Police station bench and court dock have also been preserved at the museum.

 A rain gun – one of only two in Queensland – is displayed. It was used by locals in 1902 in a bid to break the drought by seeding clouds. A number of attempts were made but they were all unsuccessful.

 A selection of precious stones, collected by a member of the Mandelkow family from the Stanthorpe area, is displayed.